Monday, May 10, 2010

When Dr. Bowery pointed out how much philosophy and yoga have in common, I found that the idea of meditation is one of the best things someone can do for the mind. I have tried meditation before when I was very stressed out about school and other things, and it has really helped. It allows me to center my mind and refocus all of my energy on what’s important. It’s so easy to get caught up in the whirlwind world around us. So many people, so many deadlines, so many tasks to be done, in general, so much pressure. The thing is, we in a way facilitate that sort of pressure because we allow it to be put upon us. We’ve become so used to reacting in certain ways to stressful situations, and our methods are not usually positive. Meditation is calming. Just sitting still and breathing, focusing on the breaths you take, and on nothing else. It really seems to allow unity of body and mind. It helps to try to empty out your thoughts. Regaining control of yourself is important, because we are at times so out of control that we lose ourselves without even knowing it. I often find that sometimes I get so busy with school and work and pressures from other people that I can’t really remember what I did that day other than school and work…Where was my down time? What did I do too just chill out? I can’t even sleep because I’m so focused on tasks looming ahead for tomorrow. I certainly don’t always want to live my life that way. Meditation is like me time…when I just pause and take a few moments to clear my head, I’m more efficient anyways. So actually, it’s a very valuable way to spend some time.

2 comments:

  1. I have wanted to try yoga for some time. I like the idea of meditation, but I always feel like I'm not doing anything when I just meditate. Yoga seems like a great way to feel active, since it is an excersise, and meditate at the same time. Besides, as Aristotle says, contemplation is the highest form of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meditation does indeed seem to be a useful tool to cleanse oneself of his/her daily pressures. Meditation is especially important, I have found, during finals week because it allows for you to set aside your studies for a brief moment and realize what is truly important to you. The practice of meditation can help reorganize your mind so that you can be prepared for your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete